Sunday 14 November 2021

An Honour and a Rainbow Snippet

I am not sure how to begin this post as it is not often I am lost for words, but here it goes.

The lovely Di from Pixie's Crafty Workshop contacted me and asked me if I would like to Guest Design for the Snippet Playground, once you had picked me up off the floor I said a resounding "YES PLEASE". This challenge has conditioned me so well that I always look at my snippets before I cut into a whole sheet of any type of card, so why is it when I had to make a snippet card my mind went blank lol.

Anyone who follows my blog will know how I struggle to colour things that aren't a natural colour and by that I mean I can colour a bear like a polar bear, black or brown bear but making one blue or green sends me into a tailspin. I did joke with Di that I would try and colour the pig blue but again my brain went its spotty so must be a gloucester old spot and it was my intention to colour it that way, however when I picked up my pens I coloured it pink and then I decided to challenge myself to see if I could add rainbow spots and the more I coloured the more I liked it.

Of course now I have a rainbow pig so I need a rainbow background and my mind returned to my comfort zone from last year when I made a lot of rainbow and just stripy cards.

Now you might be wondering how I created the strips so I took photos of the process and documented it below, the card pieces I used are left over from making my friends gatefold wedding invitations last year so as I made 140 I still have a few left lol.

The stamp set Di sent me is from Pink Ink Designs and called "A Cut Above Pigs Might Fly" its a beautiful set and with the matching dies. The dies cut on the black line too so if you don't like the white border they are definitely for you.


I began the process of using the left over pieces of white card with my distress inks direct to paper and covering the whole piece. I left them overnight to dry as this process does add a lot more moisture then ink blending but it gives a more colour blocked look.


The next day once they were dry I used my Tim Holtz tonic trimmer and cut each piece into strips using the guides on the trimmer to ensure they were equal widths, now you may want to just wing this but I struggle with that concept lol.


The next picture shows all my strips in reverse rainbow order ready to go, this picture makes me so happy as I love all these colours together and who can't help but smile at a rainbow.


The next process is to cut a thin sheet of copy paper into 4 1/4 by 5 1/2 inches and cover the entire panel with adhesive, I find tape or sheets work better for this than liquid glue.  I should have used one of my sheets but its feels too precious to be cut into lol


The next picture is the adding of the strips to the panel, I decided to not make it an entire sheet of rainbow and added a piece of white at the top, this also gives me a starting place to add my strips. I just continue until the whole sheet is covered.


Once the entire panel is covered it will look like the image below. Now it looks like I calculated that I would be able to add two sets of the strips but nope it was a happy accident lol


Finally I use a die to cut the panel, this serves two purposes, it gives a nice finished edge and it also presses the strips into the adhesive panel and the texture (from the butting up next to each other of strips) is flattened.


Ingredients
Image and Sentiment: A Cut Above Pigs Might Fly by Pink Ink Designs
Inks: Festive Berries, Carved Pumpkin, Mustard Seed, Mowed Lawn, Salvaged Patina, Salty Ocean, Wilted Violet distress inks
Dies: Blueprints 29 from MFT Stamps
Challenges: Snippet Playground at Pixies's Crafty Workshop

If you got to the end of that mammoth post I would like to thank you for joining me and I would also like to say a very big thank you to Di and Dudley for asking me, its been an absolute pleasure xx





10 comments:

Bunny said...

Great tutorial, Amanda. Congratulations on your being the guest designer.

Sarn said...

Hi Amanda

First: huge congrats on your well-deserved GD spot.

Love the look of this super card. The pig is brilliant, and beautifully coloured, but the way you made the snippets background is amazing. Thanks for sharing how it was done.

Meet me up in the Snippets Playground treehouse later for a nice mug of hot chocolate!

Hugs, Sarn xxx

Aquarius said...

Congratulations on being chosen as guest designer for the Snippets challenge. Love your card and what a great tutorial showing how it was achieved. Who doesn't like rainbow colours.

Redland81 said...

Fab card Amanda! I know how much you like your rainbows and you’ve done them proud.

Crafts-by-Alison.blogspot.com said...

Lovely fun card love the rainbow of colours. Love Alison x

NanaConnie said...

Amanda, I absolutely adore the wings on the piggy! Fabulous job. I'm visiting from Pixie's playground. :-D

Di said...

Well done Amanda - I'm so delighted you are our Guest Designer in the Snippets Playground and sharing such a fabulous card!

I'm off to bed for an early night here - it's just turned 1:30 which, as you know, is early for exhausted pigeons :)

Love and thanks

Di xx

Suzanne H said...

I've hopped over from Pixie Snippets to see your card up close. I love the rainbow spotted pig!!! If a pig has wings, he should have spots too. Lovely snippet card!

Linby said...

Congrats on your GDT spot in the playground. This pig is absolutely fab and I love how you coloured it and the vellum wings. Fantastic use of snippets too.

Carol L said...

I found your GDS card simply delightful over at the playground and I love the process you used to create it! That is the cutest pig, colored to perfection and all those colored strips just make me happy! It's a wonderful card, and you did a fantastic job, congratulations!!