Friday 5 April 2013

Matting and Layering

I have been asked what dies I use to cut the mats on my cards and this is where I may surprise some of you but I don't own any nesties or stacks of dies except a set of stars. I use my trusty cricut and two cartridges, elegant edges and lacy labels for all my fancy mats.  My digi stamps  are cut using my craft robo and I also use this for most of the scallop mats as it gives a better finish than the cricut.
Until last year I didn't own any dies at all then I discovered MFT had a shop in Florida and my addiction started. I am tempted by nesties and how easy they are to use but storage space is a premium in my tiny craft room so the method I have now works for me.



I do wish I could ink the edge of the cards with the white border like nesties can but for the amount of times I would probably do this I can't justify the expense. Especially when I keep seeing other things I want more lol. I know that cutting a frame would enable me to do this but as yet I haven't tried it.

I have also discovered a new found joy in fussy cutting my images which gives a lovely look with and without the white border. My cutting is ok but far from perfect but using a tip I picked up fom Debby I now run a grey memento marker around the cut out image and all the imperfections disappear. Obviously I don't use this method when I leave the white border though.




2 comments:

kay said...

And there's me thinking you had a cupboard full of dies lol, now I have organised my craft room I can access my cricut better so really need to dig out my cartridges and have a play. See you soon at the next meet x
P.S.loving my new toy for the ipad :)

scrappymo! said...

You do a fabulous job with your cricut...I haven't used mine myself. My neighbour tried it twice but i;ve never on my own!!!
I need to sit and watch the Utube videos on how to do it!!!

I use Debby's trick too. If I stamp in black, I use the grey and if I stamp in Memento brown, I use a copic pen in a slightly lighter shade,,,it really works wonders doesn't it!